What I Value

“ Caritas, Veritas, Fortitudo . . . ” During my childhood, I experienced medical conditions that heightened my awareness of how medicine wa...

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

What I Value


Caritas, Veritas, Fortitudo . . . ”

During my childhood, I experienced medical conditions that heightened my awareness of how medicine was practiced and how society regards people who are ill.

Patricia Fennell

As a young hospice worker, I saw the kind of assessment and care that I believed all people, not just the dying, deserved and required. At the same time, a paradigm shift was happening, from acute to chronic illness and thus an opportunity to reconsider how we care for the chronically afflicted and their loved ones. This paradigm shift continues worldwide.

Decades ago, I saw the epigraph, “Caritas, Veritas, Fortitudo,” carved into a building scheduled for demolition. These words captured for me what is required of those with chronic illness and those who work with them … these words guide us in our work:

  • Caritas means not only “love,” but also compassion.
  • Veritas refers not only to “truth,” but also to authenticity
  • Fortitudo is not simply “strength, but also courage

It is my hope that our work gives professionals and caregivers the help they need to assist patients in achieving “Caritas, Veritas, Fortitudo” and, with them, better, more meaningful lives.


Written by Patricia A. Fennell


© Albany Health Management Associates